Sunday, April 27, 2014

Memory: When the head lets go, the heart holds on





My mother-in-law is fading.  She has Alzheimer's.

It's OK.  She's happy.  She remembers her kids, when to go to meals, the walking route around her complex.

She remembers she loves a cup of tea, and R&B, and riding in the car.  And most of all she remembers her husband, the love of her life who's been gone since 1996.

But a few weeks ago, she forgot me.

I hadn't been by to visit for a couple of weeks and when my name was brought up, she was a little fuzzy on just who I am and what I mean to the family.

I picked her up on the next Saturday morning so she could spend some time with me sitting on the porch, reading and drinking a cup of tea. When I first appeared, she cocked her head looking a little unsure and asked "What's happening?!"  She was ready to go for a ride, but not quite sure who she was going with.

The confusion didn't last long. Once we were in the car and heading toward home, Iris relaxed. We made that cuppa and then sat for hours, justing hanging out in each other's presence.

And family told me that she talked a lot that next week about the fun morning with Robin sitting on the porch. That was her Perfect Moment.

My Perfect Moment was when Iris truly did remember me again.

Robin, Phoenix 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2 comments:

Lori Lavender Luz said...

How lovely to BE someone's perfect moment!

I'm glad you and Iris made some memories together.

Unknown said...

Thanks, Lori.
That's Sue's strategy these days ... trying to make new memories as fast at the old ones disappear.

This is a special Mother's Day for Sue. Her mom knows her for this one.

Related Posts with Thumbnails