Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Heaven and a split of champagne

Today, I was witness to a perfect moment and in witnessing the perfect moment of another, it became my perfect moment.

As I stood in line at my neighborhood grocery store, there was an elderly African American woman who stood a couple of places in front of me. She had but a single item in her hand. It was a split of champagne.

I'm sure she never believed she would be alive to see this day, but it had come. Oh how sweet!

I only wish my dad could have lived to be a part of this. But I find comfort on this day, November 4th, 2008, with the image that he is up there with Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. and all the others who sacrificed, so that we would one day see this day, having his own toast......



Debbie, Riverside, Ca.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails