Monday, May 4, 2009

The Most Amazing Last Lunch

I have eaten in some of the finer restaurants, you know, the ones where you have like ten forks, beautiful white linens on the tables, and even a so called foot stool for your purse. Yes, a foot stool. I was sort of shocked when I saw it as well.

Getting back to the subject, I have experienced fine dining, but nothing as fine as the lunch my students treated me to this past week. No, this lunch was special, not just because of what the chef's cooked up, but because my students thought enough of me to want to do something special.


It all started on thursday morning when Jeff put his head inside my office and said, "don't get your lunch today". He said it with a big smile across his face. About an hour later another of my students came into my office and said, "whatever you do, don't go get your lunch." When I asked what was going on, he just smiled and said just wait.

At about 12:30 I was starting to get a little hungry. I tried to find the students to see what was going on, but they had disappeared. At about 1pm I was more than a little peckish. I was starving, and starting to count out some change for the vending machine. That's when Emily spied me and hollered "don't you dare. Hang on, I will try to find them."

At about 1:15 they walked into the office carrying several bags of food, and told me to sit down at the table. Then, they opened the bags and I felt I had died and gone to heaven. They could have bought me anything for lunch, but no, they knew the exact thing to get me.
They opened up the boxes with huge smiles on their faces and then waited. I took one look, let out a squeal, and felt my mouth start to water. They had driven down to LoLo's and got me chicken and waffles! OK,OK if you have never had it before you might not be able to appreciate the two amazing flavors together, the sweet of the maple syrup and butter, and the saltiness of the hot, crunchy chicken. My mouth is just watering describing it.

They were so proud of themselves. I think I had maybe mentioned chicken and waffles once, and they remembered! We sat for the next hour eating and laughing and talking. It was the most amazing hour, and I wish all of you could have been a part of it.
I know my students are just a week away from graduating, and we will keep in touch through emails and phone calls, but I will truly miss every one of them.

I am so happy I have this memory of our last lunch together, and will treasure it always.

Lolo's is not the only place frying up chicken and waffles. You can find restaurants all across the country specializing in this Haute cuisine. Check out this throwdown between food network and Melba's!


Sue, Tempe

6 comments:

Cara said...

Oh my - that made me tear up. Not so much for the food combination...sorry - but the sheer emotion that you connected with this young adults in the way that a teacher should, and they felt led to show you!

Lori Lavender Luz said...

I echo Cara. Even though the food looks good (I think -- it's a combination I'd never thought of) what's really perfect here is the relationship you have cultivated with your wonderful students.

Drooling here.

Martha@A Sense of Humor is Essential said...

That is such a wonderful perfect moment. I love waffles and Chicken, gosh, I've got a craving now.

Kristin said...

What a touching, wonderful, heartfelt gesture from your students.

Delenn said...

That is so nice of them to do that! I had never heard of that combo--glad you enjoyed it!

Stacie said...

What a great moment! It is moments like this that make teaching the best profession in the world. Hugs!

Related Posts with Thumbnails