Thursday, October 11, 2012

What's National Coming Out Day
mean to someone who was never really In?

I've been Out so long.

I  have such a super strong network of friends, colleagues, fellow journalists, gay and straight alike.

And I have always had support and love from family.  My partner (my wife in Massachusetts) and I are very lucky, we know that.  But sometimes I forget that there are many lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgendered people who do not feel as safe and loved and supported as I feel.

National Coming Out Day is for them.  And maybe not in the way you'd think.

I share these words from Joshua Owen who posted them on his Tumblr: Joshua Owen.  He said it best.


NATIONAL COMING OUT DAY

On this day we need to remember that the meaning of National Coming Out Day (NCOD) is not about ‘outing’ someone or pressuring any one to disclose a deeper part of themselves to the world.
Today is a day to stand together as a unified force; Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgendered and our allies to reflect upon how far we have come and how far we need to continue.  So that those still not ready to disclose themselves see the world as a safe place to one day make that decision and stand with us. 
I am out and proud and here to listen if any of you ever need a safe place to share.

Robin, Tempe

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails