Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Beating the heat with a little shadow walking



 When I was a kid, my mom used to announce on some summer days that "It's too hot to eat!"

I get that. But in Arizona in the summer, you have to eat eventually.  It's really too hot to do anything. But you gotta live.

Early this evening, I was antsy. I had to move. I needed a little exercise. Haven't you heard? Sitting is the new cancer?  And besides, my Jawbone UP told me I needed about 2,500 more steps today.

It was 111 degrees out. (It's 9:40 at night now and it's only cooled off to 105.) Yet the sun was casting long shadows, so I went shadow walking.  I had a good walk, nearly 3 miles, moving from shadow to shadow.  It kind of became a game. How long could I keep going without stepping back into the sun?

I enjoyed my shadow walking. It took my mind off the heat. You gotta live.  You gotta move. And now my UP's telling me I gotta go to bed.

Robin, Phoenix


No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails