Friday, May 2, 2008

He really gets it


Day 2 of our 30 PERFECT MOMENTS in 30 days.

Todays perfect moment came to me from the mouth of one of my students. We were celebrating the end of the semester today with a gathering at a local restaurant.

One of my students had had a pretty tough semester. He was learning how to be a reporter, and he was having a difficult time. I was pretty tough on him, trying to get him up to speed, and trying to get him to believe in himself. Well, by the end of the semester, he was finally able to finish a story on time, and his videotape shooting was much improved.

I was very proud of him. But it was what he said tonight that really reminded me why I enjoy teaching. I was sitting next to him, and he said "Sue I want to thank you for not giving up on me....

I feel really good now. I know I can do this."

I almost wanted to cry. This is the moment I always want each of my students to have at the end of the semester. I want them to have that incredible feeling of knowing they are up to the task.

Tonight, this student finally "got it".

He now knows he can do anything that's thrown his way. I look into his eyes and I see happiness and fear, and confidence, and excitement. I know that he can do it, and now my job is done because he also knows he can do it!

Man I really love this job!

Sue, Tempe

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails