Saturday, April 16, 2011

If I called my mom half as often as I think about calling her...

... she'd be so happy.

I would too. I called my mom last night at the end of a busy day. We chit-chatted and then ended up searching for Jazz Greats on YouTube. She was on her computer in Colorado. I was on mine in Arizona.

We found Duke Ellington's Satin Doll. Mom was surprised that this recording has had 1,139,617 views. And then, just like anyone else on the web, she moved from one thing to another, Oscar Peterson's Satin Doll, Ella Fitzgerald and then she stumbled on a Lady Gaga song. Yeah, made no sense to me either.

So, we listened to music. There is a lot of classic jazz on YouTube. Mom shared some of what she knows. I shared some of my tricks. We planned a visit. It was a Perfect Friday evening. .. Robin, Tempe

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is the beauty of the internet. Connection from miles apart.

Kristin said...

That sounds absolutely wonderful. I love classic jazz and Duke Ellington is a favorite of mine. How fabulous that you got to share this with your mom.

Unknown said...

I should have pointed out that a very nice conversation with Paul Morris who is the director of my Master's program at ASU led to this lovely evening with my Mom.

Paul and have talked on the phone and corresponded via email for nearly 9 months, but just met in person on Friday. Our quick chat turned into a very nice 90 minute rambling discussion which included Paul showing me classic jazz on YouTube.

Thank you, Paul. In some way, I guess, I paid it forward.

Lori Lavender Luz said...

Big smile on my face. Joyce and Gaga -- priceless.

Glad you have these moments.

Tracy said...

this will always and forever be party music for me. my mother is only in her sixties but when i was growing up and still a teenager, when she threw a party, it was, candle light, a riot of flowers, too much food and something like Ella or Duke. when i hear it now, i still want to throw the doors open and think laissez les bon temps roulez

Related Posts with Thumbnails