Saturday, July 13, 2013

Robin Thicke Made My Day, as well as my Mom’s



Moments with my mom are very special, especially since she has Alzheimer's.

I know that as her memories begin to slip away, I am frantically trying to create new ones that I can hold on to in the years ahead.

This week, I had a perfect moment with my mom, one I will cherish forever. In our house, growing up we always had music. My first ever album was the Jackson 5 ABC. (Still have it!) But my parents would play music all the time, everyone from the Temptations, to Mahalia Jackson, to Tom Jones. A bit eclectic, but we liked it.

And I always remember my mother and father dancing together, even though my father didn’t have much rhythm! Believe me, I danced with him a few times myself and he was dancing to his own beat sometimes! But I wouldn’t give up those moments for anything.

Anyway, back to my mom. So, the other day I picked her up and was going to take her out with me to run a few errands. Anything to get her out of the house and get her some stimulation. What I didn’t realize is the stimulation for her brain would begin right as we jumped in the car and turned on the radio. All of a sudden Robin Thicke’s megahit, Blurred Lines started pouring into the car.

I don’t know about you, but I can’t help but bob my head when I hear this song. The next thing I know, mom is bobbing right next to me! I start singing, she starts smiling, bobbing a little harder and says ”This reminds me of the old days!” She was able to pull back one of her old memories that had disappeared into that alzheimer’s cloud! I almost started crying, instead I started singing louder!

So on this day, Robin Thicke made my mom smile, and he made me smile, giving me a memory I won’t soon forget! Thank you!

Sue
Phoenix, AZ

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing. cjs

Lori Lavender Luz said...

Even though I wish I could shield my kids from some of the lyrics (and from the video) it is a song that draws in the generations. We bebop to it in the car, too!

I'm glad it brings joy and connection you and your mother.

Related Posts with Thumbnails